How To Stay Happy and Motivated This Winter
The weather is getting gloomier and colder by the day and it’s easy to start feeling drained and depressed as the Winter gets ready to hit us full force.
Winter is my least favourite season and so I often start feeling deflated.
Below is a list of 10 things to help you keep the Winter Blues at bay.
1. Get Some Rays and Fresh Air. Sunlight provides you with Vitamin D which improves your mood! As it gets dark so early it’s easy to only see the light from your office window. Try taking a quick walk on your lunch break and ensure you get out at the weekend.
2. Take Vitamin D Supplements. Even if you make an effort to get outside every day, chances are it’s going to be gray and cloudy. Taking Vitamin D can seriously help to keep your spirits high even when it’s miserable outside.
3. Create a Sleep Schedule. Try going to bed an hour earlier than usual and in return get up an hour earlier. That will give you an extra hour of daylight a day and more time to get stuff done.
4. Eat Healthy. When it’s cold, dark and wet (most days in the English Winter) it’s easy to go off track and succumb to fatty, sugary foods such as pizza, burgers and chocolate. They might make you feel better for half an hour, but ultimately they will zap your energy and affect your mood causing lack of concentration, mood swings and possibly even depression. I personally have a morning smoothie which is an easy way to get more veggies and fruits in your diet.
5. Exercise Makes You Happy. The endorphins released during and after exercise make you feel elevated and content. It can be harder to stay active in winter as lets be honest, no one really wants to go out into the cold. Try joining an exercise class, such as Zumba, Pilates or whatever takes your fancy, it’s a fun and social way to stay active.
6. Don’t Binge Drink. Alcohol is a depressant so the more drinks you have, the more unhappy (and hungover) you will feel.
7. Read Read Read. Find a good book to read. Getting Immersed into a story will make you forget all about your troubles, just try to pick something that isn’t tearing worthy.
8. Be Social. Spend time with friends and family. As tempting as it is, to sit on the sofa and watch your favourite TVshow surrounding yourself with people that you like most will uplift your mood.
Having something new to concentrate on will stimulate your mind and keep you entertained in the cold dark evenings. In preparation for the winter months I have started a lifestyle.
9. Find A New Hobby. Having something new to concentrate on will stimulate your mind and keep you entertained in the cold dark evenings. In preparation for the winter months I have started a lifestyle blog.
10. Get a Cat. There is nothing quite like a warm, fluffy, purring ball of joy to lift your mood in the winter months and unlike a dog you won’t need to take it for walks in the rain. Winner.
WriteUpp is an effortlessly simple practice management system designed specifically for health and wellbeing professionals. It runs securely on PC, Mac, Tablet and Smartphone and includes a whole host of time-saving features including: text reminders, online booking, notes templates and super-simple invoicing. If you would like to streamline your practice you can give WriteUpp a try free for 30 days with no obligation. Click here to take the trial. Alternatively, take a look at testimonials from our lovely WriteUpp users.